Question about 2.13.14

DISCLAIMER: This may destroy your data, I am not a MariaDB expert and this solution is specific to this Devkinsta issue and MariaDB 10.5.17 (version <10.8). Deleting the file ib_logfile0 is not a trivial action.

Caveat: I did not update my sites or data at all after this Devkinsta issue presented itself. I’m not sure the consequences of doing the following if you’ve been restoring/importing backups. I am on macOS Sonoma.

Here is what I did to get DevKinsta working and be able to get my data out:

• Stop all running sites and exit DevKinsta
  • Open Docker Desktop and make sure containers are stopped
  • In Docker Desktop go into Volumes and create a clone of devkinsta_db_data THIS IS IMPORTANT OR YOU MAY EVENTUALLY LOSE ALL YOUR DATA
  • AGAIN: You should clone that volume or you could be SOL and lose everything, as the Devkinsta folks have repeatedly mentioned here, that volume is where your databases are stored.
  • Optional: I would go into the cloned volume, should be named something like devkinsta_db_data_cloned and export to your local disk (this will create a .tar.gz export file)
  • Go back into the devkinsta_db_data volume and delete ib_logfile0
  • Start DevKinsta back up

This worked for me, at least to get sites running, be able to export db data, etc. The file I deleted, ib_logfile0, is not a trivial file. It is the “redo log” and is essential for database function, but from extensive googling: occasionally that file when deleted (and then recreated) can solve some db issues. Also, since the DevKinsta MariaDB version is <10.8 deleting ib_logfile0 doesn’t obliterate the database. In newer versions of MariaDB deleting this file can result in corruption of your data.

Again, YMMV. Also, since I had already cloned the volume and was playing around with the devkinsta_db_data volume trying to get this fixed, what I actually did was import the devkinsta_db_data_clone backup into the devkinsta_db_data volume and delete the ib_logfile0 file, but I don’t think the extra steps of emptying the volume and importing the clone backup is necessary (you’d just be putting back the data you cloned).

Hopefully this makes sense and hopefully the DevKinsta folks will be able to solve this for everyone without risky workarounds or wiping all the data. :slight_smile:

1 Like