Updated DevKinsta, lost website

I had a website build with DevKinsta, and I wanted to start another one
devkinsta said there was an update available.

So I updated, only to find out that my other website is gone… Any idea on how to get that back? Or where it is gone? It’s a weeks work that is gone…

Hi @Arjan_Oskam! Welcome to the Kinsta community!

Thank you for reaching out to us on the forums. I’m very sorry to hear that your website has appeared to go missing after updating DevKinsta. I can imagine the concern this type of issue causes. We certainly will do everything possible to recover your site data.

The first thing we will want to do is locate the site files on the disk. On Windows the default path is:

C:\Users\username\DevKinsta\sitename

On Mac the default path is:

/users/username/DevKinsta/sitename

Please attempt to locate the files on disk using the paths above (replacing the place holder values with the ones that match your user and site name). If you are able to locate the site files, please do make a copy of the “sitename” directory and store it a easy to access location such as your computer’s desktop. That will ensure we have a copy of the site files should anything happen to the original file location.

Next, please launch Docker Desktop and navigate to the “Volumes” tabs, and select the “devkinsta_db_data” volume. A list of files/directories will be displayed. Within this list, do you see a directory that corresponds with the missing site’s name? If you do locate this directory, please right click on the name and save a zip archive. That will again ensure we have a backup of that site’s database information.

After ensuring we have backups created if possible, the first thing to try is to fully shutdown DevKinsta and try relaunching it. To do this, you may close the DevKinsta application window and then locate the DevKinsta icon in the status bar of your system. You may then right click this icon and choose to quit DevKinsta. That will fully shutdown the application. After this, please try launching DevKinsta again and seeing if the site is now available in DevKinsta.

If the issue persists the next step will be to try recreating the DevKinsta related Docker containers. To do this, first shutdown DevKinsta following the steps above. Then, open Docker Desktop and ensure you are on the containers tab. Next, please select all of the DevKinsta related Docker containers and choose to remove them. This won’t effect the actual data that is stored on the volumes. After this, launch DevKinsta again. The application will automatically recreate the Docker containers, and the existing data contained in the volumes will be used.

Please let us know if this has helped resolve the issue, or if you have any questions or continue to experience this issue.

We look forward to hearing back from you!

Best regards

Hi,

The files are no longer in that folder. What can I do now?

Hi @Arjan_Oskam!

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear that the files no longer appear to exist in that folder. I am going to escalate this with our team and see what options and steps maybe available for us to take next.

Do you happen to have any type of backups setup for your computer in general? If so, it might be possible to restore the files using that. Please do let us know. We will be happy to help with restoring the files from any backup system you may use.

We will be following up with an update as soon as possible. In the meantime, please do let us know if you may have any backups setup on your computer, or if you have any questions.

Best regards

Hi Andrew,

I sadly do not have any backups. I just started using devkinsta and I am mainly a hobby website builder, so I only build websites for fun and to make some extra cash in my free time.

Maybe I can somehow use a tool which people use to restore deleted files on a disk?

Best regards

Hello Arjan :wave:

You can test any tool for data recovery that’s compatible with your system and that you can work with.

Could I please ask you to get your main.log file and share it here? We just want to check if there’s anything in there that might help us understand what happened.

Here’s how to get the main.log file:

Kind regards

Hi,

Even my new project is not in the defined path
How do I find out the location of my project?

Hi @Arjan_Oskam :wave:

If you’re running DevKinsta on a Windows Machine with WSL, the default WSL path for the WordPress site files is at:

example:

\\wsl.localhost\docker-desktop-data\data\docker\volumes\DevKinsta\public\site-1
\\wsl.localhost\docker-desktop-data\data\docker\volumes\DevKinsta\public\site-2

If you’re running via Hyper-V, the default path for the WordPress files is at:

example:

C:\Users\username\DevKinsta\public\site-1
C:\Users\username\DevKinsta\public\site-2

I hope it helps!