Custom Dev Setup using Kinsta Docker Images

Hello everyone!

I’m currently setting up a development environment for a new project we’re working on. At first I thought of using DevKinsta, but we decided against it.

However, I found all of the Kinsta Docker Images on Docker Hub: Docker

This got me interested in prototyping a custom dev setup with these Docker Images. However, these docker images have 0 documentation, and the GitHub Repository is probably set to “Private”.

It would be absolutely amazing to have more info about how to use these Docker Containers in their respective Docker Hub page. Things like:

1. What image are they based on?
  2. What does the Dockerfile look like?
  3. What kind of Environment variables can I pass?

Additionally it would be great to maybe have an example docker-compose.yml which we could use a template.

I also know that this kind of goes against the original purpose of these images, as they were probably envisioned to be used only by the DevKinsta tool. But we decided against it because we wanted more control over our processes and less third-party applications. These Docker Images seem to be a very good middle-ground solution for those who want to have a dev environment as close as possible to what Kinsta uses, without the need of installing DevKinsta.

What do you think?

Hello @drazen :wave: and welcome to Kinsta Community!

Thank you for asking your questions here! :bowing_man:

You’re right that those Kinsta Docker images you found on the Docker hub there, have been built to be used by our DevKinsta application/tool (to work with Docker).

Indeed, unfortunately there’s no documentation or any further details for those docker images as we don’t intend to share them to be used by other 3rd party tools/applications.

The only thing I know and that I can tell is that 1 of the Docker images/containers (devkinsta_fpm) uses Linux Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS .

I’m afraid I can’t provide any other information you asked, like what the dockerfile looks like and what environment variables that can be passed on (I myself don’t know about these as most likely these are known to our internal developers only - and I believe we won’t be sharing these information/details publicly).

Best regards,
Agus

Thanks for the answer!

Too bad, I would have greatly appreciated it. It’s not that big of a deal though, as anyone can just use the usual docker images (nginx, mariadb, php-fpm, etc) which yours probably build on top of anyway. Just thought it would have been a “nice to have” feature.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.