Devkinsta file permission issues (403 errors)

Hi there, I use a custom wordpress theme for many of our client websites. This theme exists locally in Devkinsta, and also on a Kinsta instance so we can pull down and use locally. At some point in the last few months it seems Devkinsta has corrupted the file permissions for this theme. It doesn’t affect me locally but as soon as I push a site up to Kinsta, I’m faced with a bunch of 403 errors on the frontend - and have to ask Kinsta tech support to reset the file permissions on the server. After they do this, everything is back to normal.

Every time I create a new site in Devkinsta using this theme (either by cloning it, or by pulling it down from Kinsta), the same file permission issues persist. I’ve tried pulling down the version on Kinsta, which has had the file permissions reset by tech support - but even that approach doesn’t work and I still end up with incorrect file permissions.

Please can you help me troubleshoot this?

Hi @hpdev! Thank you for reaching out to us on the forums.

I’m sorry to hear that your site is experiencing this permissions issue. I understand having to reach out to the support team each time you push a change can be frustrating. We’re more than happy to help look into a solution for this.

I understand that your site functions properly while in the local environment. However, upon pushing the local site to MyKinsta the site on the server appears to have incorrect permissions set on the theme files which leads to issues.

So that we can better assist you with this issue could you please share the permissions you see set on the theme files on your local environment? If this information contains any personal information such as your username please use USERNAME for example as a place holder. The site file location paths can be found in our help article at the link below:

Additionally, if you could push a site to a new staging environment that will allow us to confirm the file permissions that are being set on our end. Please feel free to direct/private message me the name of the staging environment once it has been created and I’d be happy to take a look.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards