DK0048: you don't have the necessary privileges to start the docker client

Hi all. I’ve started to experiment with DevKinsta. Installation was trouble-free, but when I try to use it via command-line with “/opt/DevKinsta/dev-kinsta”, the GUI starts up but immediately gives me message “DK0048: you don’t have the necessary privileges to start the docker client”.

I read the doc for the error at DevKinsta Error Codes - Kinsta®, but I’m concerned about changing permissions to 0666 for the docker port. Is it really necessary to open that to the whole world? Isn’t there a better way to get this done?

Heya there @Scott_Thomason , welcome to our community!

I think you can also just chmod that /var/run/docker.sock file to 0660 (which would make Others can’t read, can’t write and can’t execute it) instead of 0666 .
I also checked mine, and could see it’s set to 0660 and could still open/run my DevKinsta program just fine.

agus@Lenovo-IdeaPad-FLEX-15IWL:~$ ll /var/run/docker.sock
srw-rw---- 1 root docker 0 Jul 25 13:58 /var/run/docker.sock=

agus@Lenovo-IdeaPad-FLEX-15IWL:~$ stat /var/run/docker.sock
File: /var/run/docker.sock
Size: 0 Blocks: 0 IO Block: 4096 socket
Device: 19h/25d Inode: 14510 Links: 1
Access: (0660/srw-rw----) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 999/ docker)

So you may want to give it a try (to set it to 0660) and run DevKinsta - see if it’s running properly.

Regards,
Agus

I changed it to 660, but that takes me back to where I was, receiving the error DK0048.

Thank your for your reply and update.
I’m still unable to reproduce this DK0048 error on my end :thinking: and that /var/run/docker.sock file is still set to 0660 (I’m using Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, Docker Engine version 24.0.5, build ced0996, and DevKinsta 2.11.0 ).

I’m wondering what if you keep that /var/run/docker.sock file set to 0660, and try to add your user profile to the docker group with the following steps:

1. sudo groupadd docker
  2. sudo usermod -aG docker yourlinuxuserhere

and please check with: getent group docker , see if yourlinuxuser is listed there (that might return with something like: docker:x:999:yourlinuxuserhere )
after that , please try to log out from your current linux session and re-login (or try to reboot if necessary), and may also want to restart the Docker service (to apply any configuration changes) with:
sudo systemctl restart docker.service

then please try to access/open DevKinsta again and see if it’s loading fine?
If it’s still showing the same DK0048 error, then I think the workaround might be just to set that /var/run/docker.sock file set to 0666 (and may want to consider to temporarily give the permissions to your user profile for the current session only) as shown in that documentation.

Regards,
Agus