Troubleshooting WordPress Multisite Setup in DevKinsta

I am setting up a WordPress multisite environment using DevKinsta for local development. However, I encounter an issue where the subsites within the multisite network are inaccessible, showing a “Page Not Found” error. I have followed the standard procedures for setting up a multisite network, including updating the .htaccess and wp-config.php files as per the WordPress Codex guidelines.

I’ve checked the network settings in the WordPress dashboard and verified that they are correctly configured. Additionally, I’ve ensured that the virtual hosts for the subsites are set up properly in the DevKinsta configuration.

Despite these efforts, the subsites still cannot be accessed, and I’m unsure what could be causing the issue.

How can I troubleshoot this problem and ensure that the subsites within my WordPress multisite network function correctly in DevKinsta?

Hello @joeroot! :wave:

Welcome to the Kinsta Community! If you’re trying to set up a WordPress multisite with subdomains/custom domains for the subsites, you’ll need to manually create entries for your subdomain/custom domain in your machine’s local host file. For more information, please refer to our help article linked below:

I hope this information is helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for your response and the helpful information. I’ll make sure to manually create entries for the subdomains/custom domains in my local host file as per the instructions provided in the help article.

I’ll give this a try and see if it resolves the issue with accessing the subsites within my WordPress multisite network in DevKinsta. If I encounter any further difficulties or have additional questions, I’ll be sure to reach out for further assistance.

Thanks again for your support!

1 Like

Amazing, I will appereciate for your amazing knowledge! Thanks buddy.

This Information is Valueable But you can try this:

1. Permalinks: Even if you’ve saved the permalink settings, sometimes it’s worth changing them to default, saving, and then changing them back to your preferred structure and saving again. This can sometimes refresh the rewrite rules.
2. Network Admin Pages: Ensure that your network admin pages are accessible and functioning properly. If they are, it indicates that the multisite setup itself is working, but there might be an issue with the individual site configurations.
3. Subdomain/Subdirectory Setup: Ensure that you’ve chosen the correct setup for your multisite network (subdomains or subdirectories) and that your DevKinsta environment is configured accordingly. Double-check your DNS settings if you’re using subdomains.
4. Plugins and Themes: While I mentioned deactivating them earlier, another step is to make sure that the themes and plugins you’re using are multisite-compatible. Some plugins or themes may not work well in a multisite environment and can cause unexpected issues.
5. File Permissions: Verify that the file permissions for your WordPress installation are set correctly. Improper file permissions can sometimes lead to issues with accessing pages or files.
6. Cache: Clear any caching mechanisms you might have in place, both within WordPress (if you’re using a caching plugin) and externally (server-side caching, browser cache, etc.). Cached data might be preventing changes from taking effect.
7. Database: Check the database to ensure that all the necessary tables for the multisite setup are present and correctly configured. Some hosting environments may have limitations on database features that could affect multisite functionality.
8. Local Environment Setup: Since you’re using DevKinsta, make sure your local environment is set up correctly. Sometimes issues can arise due to misconfigurations in your local development environment.
9. Browser Issues: Try accessing the subsites using a different web browser or an incognito/private window to rule out any browser-related issues, such as cached redirects or cookies causing problems.
10. Documentation and Support: Lastly, check the documentation and support resources provided by DevKinsta. They may have specific troubleshooting steps or known issues related to setting up multisite environments in their platform.

By systematically going through these steps, you should be able to pinpoint the issue causing the subsites to be inaccessible without delving into the code.

1 Like

Amazing! I really appreciate your incredible knowledge. Thanks, buddy!

1 Like

I am also facing the same issue. Please help me resolve it. I am waiting for your reply. Please reply and let me know the solution.

Hi @Anna-Leord :wave:

Welcome to the Kinsta Community!

Could you please provide more details about the specific issue you are facing with your Multisite?

Also, have you tried the solution provided in the following help article?

We are looking forward to hearing back from you.

Hello

To troubleshoot your WordPress multisite setup in DevKinsta:

1. Check permalink settings.
  2. Verify subsite URL structure and DevKinsta virtual hosts.
  3. Temporarily deactivate plugins/themes.
  4. Ensure correct file permissions.
  5. Check error logs for insights.
  6. Verify database table configuration.
  7. Review DevKinsta virtual host setup.

Hope this helps! :blush:

Thank you
nolanmaris