Activate the cache locally

Would it be possible to configure nginx to activate the cache locally?

Hello @worldwildweb Will! :wave:

Thank your reaching us out in our community!
That’s great question! :+1:
As far as I could see in the NGINX config/settings Editor (for each of the local sites) - under the Site configurations page in DevKinsta , I didn’t see anything mentioned about “cache” or “caching” there - and I’m not sure if the NGINX cache feature can be enabled locally .

We’ve asked this to our internal DevKinsta developers team and see if they can provide more information about this (whether it’s possible to enable/activate local cache in NGINX or not)! Once we have that information, we will update you again! :smile:

Best Regards,
Agus Utomo

Thanks @Agus I’m really excited to hear their feedback. I think that would also address many of the slowness issues that I’ve come across on this forum. :blush:

Hello @worldwildweb :wave:

After checking with our engineers, I am sorry to say that we don’t have an out-of-the-box feature in Devkinsta for caching nor there are any immediate plans to add it.

There is an NGINX editor in Devkinsta that you can try to use to set up caching as per the following:

Since this is not a Devkinsta feature we don’t have a precise guide on how to do it.

thanks for your reply @Vladimir_Milosavljev that’s too bad!
I’m going to submit this as a new feature request.

How to ensure the directory /tmp/nginx_cache exists and is writable by Nginx? and if it does not exist, how to create it so it doesn’t get overwritten when I update a site or devkinsta?

Hello @worldwildweb,

Unfortunately and because DevKinsta doesn’t support caching, that would fall out of scope for our support team.

It’s important to note that, since DevKinsta doesn’t support caching, it won’t be transferring any contents on that folder (if created) – it will only synchronize the site files and database.

With that said, to create that folder you’d need to follow the standard OS procedure depending on which system you’re using. It is however not possible to “block” or prevent it from being overwritten and allow Nginx to work with it at the same time, otherwise it’s very likely that Nginx won’t work properly.

Sincerely,
Andre F.