Images not uploading in Ultimate Member Social Activity extension

Subject: Request for Assistance: Issue with Ultimate Member Plugin Wall Posts

Dear Kinsta Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek assistance regarding an issue I have encountered with the Ultimate Member plugin on my WordPress website hosted with Kinsta.

As an experienced WordPress developer, I have integrated the Ultimate Member plugin along with its “Social Activity” and “User Photos” extensions on my website. While the “User Photos” extension works seamlessly, allowing users to upload photos and images into albums without any issue, I have encountered a problem with the “Social Activity” extension.

The “Social Activity” extension enables users to create wall posts, similar to the functionality seen on platforms like Facebook. Within the wall post interface, there is a ‘camera’ icon that allows users to upload and attach photos or images to their posts. However, I have observed that although the uploaded picture briefly appears as expected in the post preview, upon clicking the “Post” button to publish the wall post, the image reverts to a small question mark icon.

This inconsistency between the behavior of the “User Photos” extension and the “Social Activity” extension is causing confusion among our users and detracting from the overall user experience on our website.

I have thoroughly reviewed the plugin settings, ensured compatibility with the latest versions of WordPress and the Ultimate Member plugin, and conducted troubleshooting steps, but the issue persists.

I kindly request your expertise and assistance in resolving this matter. Any insights, guidance, or solutions you can provide to ensure that uploaded images in wall posts through the “Social Activity” extension are displayed correctly would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you require any further information or access to our website to investigate this issue further. Your prompt attention to this matter would be immensely valuable to us and our community of users.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Hi @steveharper :wave:
Welcome to the Kinsta Community!

I see that you have already reached out to our Support team to address the issue you are facing, which is the recommended way to receive prompt assistance.

To identify the cause of the problem with the Ultimate Member “Social Activity” extension image upload feature, I suggest reviewing the error/access logs available in MyKinsta. This may provide some clues as to why the feature isn’t functioning correctly. Additionally, you can temporarily enable the WordPress debug in MyKinsta >> Tools for further investigation.

I have also found a helpful troubleshooting article from Ultimate Member for “Photo/Image Uploads Not Working” issue.

I hope this helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Adrian. Today’s support was great. We were was able to narrow it down to an Ultimate Member extension issue. I did all the directory/file permissions setting adjustments through SFTP described in that Ultimate Member trouble-shooting article you reference. All to no avail. Still cannot display the images in the Activity extension past the initial thumbnail Preview prior to pressing “Post”. Contacting Ultimate Member Support is not as easy as contacting you! But I’m determined to figure this out. I want to launch the beta site next Monday and this is the last piece I need to fix to get to an MVP. Thanks for your support.

Ok, following up after reviewing the error/access logs from my dashboard:

1. There are no error messages/logs

2. I get this in the Access log for the latest try at image upload:

“domain.kinsta.cloud 2603:800c:1000:9c66:2575:df7f:1336:689d [04/Apr/2024:03:12:29 +0000] GET “/um-activity-download/4493/7/1c4abb942e/1712200340.png” HTTP/2.0 404 “User – SurfersConnect.net | A Social Network For Surfers” “Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/16.6 Safari/605.1.15” 2603:800c:1000:9c66:2575:df7f:1336:689d “/um-activity-download/4493/7/1c4abb942e/1712200340.png” - 1.66 186 0.000 -”

Hello @steveharper,

That looks like a 404 error. This might be due to a variety of reasons, maybe the plugin requires specific NGINX rules or rewrites/redirects to function correctly.

It would be good to know what the Ultimate Member support has found. In any case, please feel free to reach out via chat to get a real time support with this issue.

Kind regards,
Vladimir M

Aloha Vladimir,

Yes, at one point I got the error message “404 Not Found - NGINX”

Ultimate Member Support has not gotten back to me yet. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Steve H.

Hi @steveharper ! :wave:

I looked over the site and the issue; unfortunately this does appear to be a problem within the Ultimate Member plugin, and we’re not able to assist with code debugging or plugin issues, as those fall outside the scope of our support.

If the plugin support folks come back and ask for a server-level tweak, such as adding rewrites within Nginx, we’ll be more than happy to do so through a chat, but at this time we’re unable to assist further with this specific issue.

If you do have any other questions though, please let us know or open a chat and we’ll be happy to take a look.