Importing from Kinsta fails

Hello,

After downloading everything, Configuring NGINX, and Creating MySQL database, I get the “Something bad happened, Retry” error.

The site is a 75GB Multisite and the DB is 7GB.

I had tried the manual process earlier using WSL but there was duplicate ids in the table halfway through importing the DB, so I tried this import method instead.

A couple months ago we were able to import to another computer using WSL, yet I am hoping I can just continue from where it left off manually so we don’t have to download the 75GB again. Yet I’ll try whatever is necessary to get this working.

Thank you,
Daniel

Windows 10 Version 22H2, Docker Desktop v4.26.0, Hyper-V, WordPress 6.2.3, PHP 8.0, MariaDB, HTTPS, Host 127.0.0.1, Port 15100, NGINX using 80 and 443, Xdebug enabled. DevKinsta File version 2.11.0.7043

I looked at devkinstad_fpm trying to see the tables using the wp db commands but it couldnt’ access the db. Reason: ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2)

main.log (lines from where the warnings/error started to the end)

[2023-12-12 14:00:29.340] [warn] [terminalExec] Error: rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]

[2023-12-12 14:00:29.479] [info] [terminalExec] Child process exited with code 23
[2023-12-12 14:00:29.481] [error] [downloadSite] Error while downloading files Error: Encountered an error in child process 1844: 23. rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]

at handleChildProcessClosure (C:\Program Files\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:2:733315)
at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (C:\Program Files\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:2:732272)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:513:28)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1091:16)
at Socket.<anonymous> (node:internal/child_process:449:11)
at Socket.emit (node:events:513:28)
at Socket.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at Pipe.<anonymous> (node:net:313:12)

[2023-12-12 14:00:29.522] [error] [ipcMainStep] Error in operation SITE_CREATION, step rsync: Error: Encountered an error in child process 1844: 23. rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]

at handleChildProcessClosure (C:\Program Files\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:2:733315)
at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (C:\Program Files\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:2:732272)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:513:28)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1091:16)
at Socket.<anonymous> (node:internal/child_process:449:11)
at Socket.emit (node:events:513:28)
at Socket.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at Pipe.<anonymous> (node:net:313:12)

[2023-12-12 14:00:29.582] [info] [ProgressIndicator] { isFailed: true, isOpen: true }

This may not be important but looking at our database on kinsta it uses latin1_swedish_ci instead of utf8mb3_general_ci

Hello @Daniel_Martin :wave:

I will try to answer to your 2 cases reported above as follow:

I looked at devkinstad_fpm trying to see the tables using the wp db commands but it couldnt’ access the db. Reason: ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2)

I’m still not sure yet if there’s something broken in that local WP site you just imported (so that it couldn’t connect to the local database server), or if the local DB server is not running properly.
Anyway, to check and test if the local DB server is actually running (and to check if the actual database and its tables in question are there or not), you could also check in the “devkinsta_db” docker’s container, with the “root” user and its password manually by doing the following:

1. On your Docker Desktop, click on the “devkinsta_db” container

2. Then, click on the “Inspect” tab, and locate for the MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD , and copy the password shown there (e.g.: in your text editor or something).

3. Then, click on the “Exec” tab, and there, type:
    mysql -u root -p

4. When you’re prompted to Enter the password, you can paste the password you’ve copied before (from step 2 above) - and see if you are able to login with it.

5. If you’re able to login with that mysql root user/password, you will be able to perform mysql command line ( such as: show databases; to list all databases you have, then followed by: use yourdatabasenamehere; to use/change to that specific local database, and then you can type: show tables; that will show the existing tables in that database). Like the following screenshot I took from my Windows 11 machine for example:

Hopefully with the above, you will be able to see the DB’s tables you’re looking for (or if you just want to check them - via that SQL command lines on the devkinsta_db container)

And regarding the error in the main.log you shared before:

[2023-12-12 14:00:29.340] [warn] [terminalExec] Error: rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]

[2023-12-12 14:00:29.479] [info] [terminalExec] Child process exited with code 23
[2023-12-12 14:00:29.481] [error] [downloadSite] Error while downloading files Error: Encountered an error in child process 1844: 23. rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]

[2023-12-12 14:00:29.522] [error] [ipcMainStep] Error in operation SITE_CREATION, step rsync: Error: Encountered an error in child process 1844: 23. rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]

I’m still unsure yet, but this could be caused by various issues, such as for example: broken symlinks (that are pointing to invalid paths/non-existing files/paths) - as I had noticed before with other customer/user here, CHMOD or files/folders permission issue, and/or something like that which was causing the import process to fail in DevKinsta (and returned with “Something bad happened” error).

If you could please share the most recent (newest) full main.log file to us, we may be able to check and review further and see what may be causing the error.

Also, could you please update you profile in this Community and set your MyKinsta Account URL
that will help us easily to open your correct MyKinsta account control panel when we need to check something on the server side when needed.

PS: About the last reply you had:

This may not be important but looking at our database on kinsta it uses latin1_swedish_ci instead of utf8mb3_general_ci

I don’t think that DB/tables’ collation is something that would cause the “Something bad happened” error above. We can take a look in your full main.log file for sure though.

Best regards,
Agus

There was no database imported, to be clear the database existed but there were no tables. I’ve tried quite a few more times, Deploying Windows to 3 different machines several times, trying different both window 10 and 11, trying Hyper-V and WSL2, reinstall the Docker and DevKinsta software, trying different order of installation…

All of them failed to create a database except the latest one
Our latest one failed but when I pressed retry it ended up finishing the process. I still cannot use the site, it gives a 500 error. HTTP ERROR 500 If I enable https it gives a certificate error. NET:ERR_CERT_INVALID The database did import though, which is promising.

During the download I edited the wp-config file switching out “utf8” to “latin1” and collation from “” to “latin1-swedish-ci”, as you said this like wouldn’t cause the something bad happened but I thought it would be important to share incase it effects the final result by me editing it.

I even made a local copy in DevKinsta to see if the copy would work, yet it didn’t either.

Looks like all my tries are now adding tables to the database. Once it finishes with wpSearchAndReplace I will update again.

Windows setup: Windows 10, ran all updates, including 22H2 (restarting as many times as needed)
Using local Administrator for all installations:
WSL setup: wsl --install --no-distribution (then restarted)
Docker Desktop setup: Default settings (then restarted)
DevKinsta: Default settings (Only for me, I had previously been using all users of this computer)

Now it seems like this one completed with no errors!!!

Thank you @Agus for your support. The information you provided helped me monitor the progress throughout.

As the last one was successful I consider this complete.

I’m guessing it’s more an issue with copying a live site as we didn’t do anything different that I can think of. It’s possible it was also something was missing until the first attempt, and the second attempt worked. This was the first time I tried using WSL a second time on the same computer.

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Martin!

We’re glad to hear that the issue has been resolved! I’m also happy to hear that Agus was able to help provide information that you could use to monitor the progress of the import. If you do have any questions in the future please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Support team, or post a new thread on our community forum!

Take care!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.