Local site takes 30s to load a page with DevKinsta

I pulled a fresh version of my website from prod, however, my local instance with DevKinsta takes 30s+ to load a single gd page. What is going on?

DevKinsta was working previously. This appeared out of nowhere. Thank god my prod website loads just fine. Any advice on what I can do?

Notably, my local database - when pushing or pulling from Kinsta - shows as 0 KB. Not sure if this could be related?

I’m surprised Kinsta does not formally support DevKinsta. Is there another program I should be using? I just came from WP Engine :pray:

Hello Grnatog :wave:

Welcome to Kinsta Community!

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with DevKinsta. May I ask for:

• Docker version
  • DevKinsta version

In regards to the database showing 0, that’s not normal, it might mean that it didn’t pull correctly from Mykinsta. I would advise removing the site from Mykinsta and pulling again.

And lastly, we do support DevKinsta, however, we provide support here, on Kinsta Community forum.

Looking forward to hearing from you! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reply, excited to get some help.

• macOS Sonoma 14.2.1.
  • DevKinsta v2.12.1.8460.
  • Docker Desktop 4.26.1 (131620). Compose v2.23.3-desktop.2. Kubernetes: v1.28.2. Engine: 24.0.7. Credential Helper: v0.7.0

Hi @grnatog :wave:

If you’re experiencing performance issues with your local site, I’d recommend increasing the resources for your Docker Desktop. You can do this by heading to Settings > Resources.

Also, if you’re seeing that the database is showing 0B in size, you can check the main.log file of DevKinsta to hopefully get more detailed error as to why that is.

For MAC users, the main.log file is located at:
/Users/<yourusername>/Library/Logs/DevKinsta

I hope it helps!

I increased the resources, but I still see a 0B database. I’m not sure how to interpret the main.log file. Can I send you a DM with it out to help dx what may be going on?

Hey @grnatog, please send me the raw main.log file via private message. I’ll take a look to see if I can figure out the issue. :+1:

Sent a PM. It’s worth noting that I AM able to access the database locally and I see all my data is there. Not sure what’s going on?

I’ve noticed some errors in the main.log file, which suggests that the pull from Kinsta may have failed at some point.

$ grep -i "\[error\]" main.log
[2024-01-19 21:26:40.121] [error] Error: (HTTP code 500) server error - Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": net/http: request canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers) 
[2024-01-19 21:26:40.132] [error] Error: (HTTP code 500) server error - Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": net/http: request canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers) 
[2024-01-19 21:28:26.867] [error] error deleting: devkinsta_fpm - Error: (HTTP code 404) no such container - No such container: devkinsta_fpm 
[2024-01-19 21:28:26.870] [error] error deleting: devkinsta_nginx - Error: (HTTP code 404) no such container - No such container: devkinsta_nginx 
[2024-01-19 21:28:26.872] [error] error deleting: devkinsta_db - Error: (HTTP code 404) no such container - No such container: devkinsta_db 
[2024-01-19 21:28:26.875] [error] error deleting: devkinsta_adminer - Error: (HTTP code 404) no such container - No such container: devkinsta_adminer 
[2024-01-19 21:28:26.879] [error] error deleting: devkinsta_mailhog - Error: (HTTP code 404) no such container - No such container: devkinsta_mailhog 
[2024-01-19 21:28:26.885] [error] error deleting: devkinsta_rsync-ssh - Error: (HTTP code 404) no such container - No such container: devkinsta_rsync-ssh 
[2024-01-19 21:34:39.119] [error] [watchDockerService] Pinging docker: FAILED. (HTTP code 500) server error -  
[2024-01-19 21:34:49.134] [error] [watchDockerService] Pinging docker: FAILED. connect ENOENT /var/run/docker.sock
[2024-01-19 21:34:59.143] [error] [watchDockerService] Pinging docker: FAILED. connect ENOENT /var/run/docker.sock

Could you please try creating a new WordPress instance in DevKinsta by pulling the content from your Kinsta production site again? This will help us determine if the 0B database size issue persists.

Also, please click the “Re-apply configurations” in the Docker Desktop if you have this warning when launching the app.

Let me know how it goes.

Hi, unfortunately that did not work. I completely removed Docker from my Mac (used some rm -rf commands). I, then, reinstalled Docker.

I then deleted my website from DevKinsta. I then re-downloaded my website by “Importing from Kinsta” and it still shows my database as 0B (see the red highlight in screenshot below).

What else can we do? I really need this to work. I don’t want to go back to WP Engine.

FWIW, I can open the database locally and see tables. I blurred out potentially identifying info.

It looks like the event responsible for displaying the size of the database when accessing the Site Info page of a particular site within Devkinsta is the [getDbSize].

[getDbSize] update "sitenamehere’ site’s db size

@grnatog Could you please send me an updated version of the main.log file for this site via direct message so we can see if the action is failing and to continue troubleshooting the issue? Thank you!

Yep, just did. Also, this is weird but I see this “flip” between Staging and Local.

Remote shows as 0 bytes, which is incorrect, and Local’s database shows as 0 bytes, which is also incorrect.

I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with my deployment on prod as we’ve already deleted everything locally and reinstalled it.

I have checked the updated log and found that the [getDbSize] action was triggered without any errors.

I was able to replicate this issue on my own DevKinsta, which indicates that it may be a DevKinsta bug. I will report this issue to our DevKinsta Dev team and keep you updated on any progress.

Thanks, @Adrian_L .

My local website still suffers from very long page load times (>30 seconds). My local instance is effectively inoperable, and I don’t use it anymore (I’m forced to make edits directly to production, which I hate).

I have downloaded to the latest Docker update and I have increased resources, however, to no avail. Any ideas on what I can do?

I would recommend completely uninstalling both DevKinsta and Docker Desktop from your Mac. After the uninstallation, reinstall the latest versions of both apps to start anew. This process helped me fix the issue of getting 0B database data on my site earlier. Kindly note that when you uninstall both DevKinsta and Docker Desktop, all the existing local site data stored in DevKinsta will be removed.

Devkinsta 2.13.1

Docker Desktop 4.27.1

Make sure that you have allocated enough CPU and RAM resources to Docker Desktop. After completing these steps, you can go ahead and pull your site from your Kinsta account. Hopefully, it will help improve the local site’s performance.

That seems to have fixed the slowness. I also restarted my computer and did some extra rm -rf commands. Will see if fixed database.

Hi @grnatog :wave:

Thank you for your reply and confirmation!
Glad to hear that what Adrian suggested to you before seems to have fixed the slowness issue on your local end! :+1: and hopefully the 0 B database size will be solved too!

Please update us with the result and/or let us know again if we can assist any further!

Best regards,
Agus Utomo