Pull from Kinsta error

Pulling a certain site from MyKinsta gives me an error every time:

[2024-01-12 15:46:04.956] [info] [ProgressIndicator] { isFailed: false, isOpen: true }
[2024-01-12 15:46:04.990] [info] [terminalExec] Child process exited with code 24
[2024-01-12 15:46:04.991] [error] [downloadSite] Error while downloading files Error: Encountered an error in child process 5787: 24. rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred (code 24) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]

at handleChildProcessClosure (/Applications/DevKinsta.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:605332)
at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/Applications/DevKinsta.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:604289)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:513:28)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1091:16)
at Socket.<anonymous> (node:internal/child_process:449:11)
at Socket.emit (node:events:513:28)
at Socket.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at Pipe.<anonymous> (node:net:322:12)

[2024-01-12 15:46:05.005] [error] [ipcMainStep] Error in operation SITE_PULL, step rsync: Error: Encountered an error in child process 5787: 24. rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred (code 24) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]

at handleChildProcessClosure (/Applications/DevKinsta.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:605332)
at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/Applications/DevKinsta.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:604289)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:513:28)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1091:16)
at Socket.<anonymous> (node:internal/child_process:449:11)
at Socket.emit (node:events:513:28)
at Socket.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at Pipe.<anonymous> (node:net:322:12)

[2024-01-12 15:46:05.038] [info] [ProgressIndicator] { isFailed: true, isOpen: true }
[2024-01-12 15:47:11.767] [info] [dockerUtil/getContainer] Get ‘devkinsta_fpm’ Docker container
[2024-01-12 15:47:11.830] [info] [ProgressIndicator] { isFailed: false, isOpen: true }
[2024-01-12 15:47:11.854] [info] [ProgressIndicator] { isFailed: false, isOpen: true }
[2024-01-12 15:47:11.866] [info] [containerExec] Command ‘test -e /www/kinsta/temp/backup/labelkiki.tar.gz && echo 1’ on devkinsta_fpm finished with exit code 0
[2024-01-12 15:47:11.866] [info] [dockerUtil/getContainer] Get ‘devkinsta_fpm’ Docker container

If I delete the site in DevKinsta, and then import from MyKinsta, it does work.

Hi @jarno! Welcome back to the Kinsta community. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sorry to see that you are experiencing this issue with syncing your site with DevKinsta. I understand it can be frustrating to see an error like this. I’m happy to help you with troubleshooting this issue, and help get you going in the right direction towards a solution!

It appears based on the error that some files on the server that rsync expects to be there are being removed before it can complete the sync to DevKinsta. I understand that you are only seeing this error when syncing the site, but deleting and reimporting the site into DevKinsta works without error.

I do want to clarify a few things to narrow down the possible causes of this problem. I see you mentioned that this is happening when you pull a certain site from MyKinsta. By that, do you mean you are only seeing this error when pulling a single site from MyKinsta? Or, are you seeing this with multiple sites, but not all of them under your MyKinsta company?

Also, are you only seeing this error when you sync the site(s) from one environment (live or staging)? Or, does this happen regardless of if you try to sync from live or staging?

Lastly just to confirm, are you running the latest version of DevKinsta that was just released? The newest version is 2.12.0.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Hi Andrew,

I can confirm that it only happens with 1 particular site, and it happens when pulling from both environments. I’m running the latest version 2.12.0.

Hi @jarno!

Thank you for your reply, and clarifying that! We would like to review the site container for clues as to what might be causing this issue to occur. So that we can locate your site container, please direct message me the domain name associated with the affected site.

We look forward to hearing back from you!

Best regards

Thank you for sending the domain name via direct message, @jarno! We are investigating into this issue further. We are reviewing the site container to see if anything on the server might be causing this issue to occur. I may also need to loop in our DevKinsta developers to review this matter further as well.

We will be providing an update as soon as possible once we have more information to share.

In the meantime, if you do have any questions or see a change in behavior when syncing the site please don’t hesitate to reply in this thread.

Best regards

Hi @jarno!

We’ve been looking into this issue internally to see what could be causing this rsync error to occur. At the moment, we believe the issue is being caused by a specific file or folder within the site container. For example, there might be a directory that has rapidly changing files while the transfer is ongoing, and files are being removed during the transfer process.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible at the moment to determine the exact folder causing the issue as rsync is not providing these details. We have brought this up with our development team, and they are working on enabling a feature that will help in determining the root cause of rsync related issues in the future. However, I don’t currently have a ETA as to when this will be enabled.

I understand that this is a frustrating issue, and I do want to help see if we can find a workaround in the meantime. Something that you could try within the staging environment is to temporarily disable all plugins on the site, and change the theme to the default WordPress theme. That may help stop the file operations that are occurring that block the rsync process.

If the site is able to sync successfully, you may then reactivate the plugins and change the theme back to the original theme on the local copy of the site.

Please let us know if this helps resolve the sync issue you are seeing. We look forward to hearing from you!

Hi @Andrew I don’t know why, but the pulling is working again :slight_smile:

Hey @jarno!

That’s good to hear that you’re able to pull that site again! It’s a bit frustrating that it resolved itself without really determining what went wrong, but I’m glad it did! :sweat_smile:

Thanks for letting us know :relieved:

Let us know if there’s anything else we can do to assist.

Best,