"Something Bad Happened" when website is large, probably rsync, BUT?

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A: 2022 October 28, 2022 - All day, 7-8 attempts

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: 2.8.0

Q: OS Version
A: Windows 10

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A: 4.11.1

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: “Something bad happened”.

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem

I am importing a bunch of my sites from Kinsta after a clean uninstall and reinstall of Docker and DevKinsta.

I don’t have any problems for any of my sites, which all range from 150 MiB - 550 MiB.

However, there is one that is 997 MiB and this install always fails with the error “Something Bad Happened”.

After reading some other posts, it looks like if the site gets large enough, this becomes a problem.

There’s not much I can do to shrink the site.

Because of the fresh install, I don’t have this website locally, but I need it locally. What is my alternative for getting this site setup locally besides downloading the zip from My Kinsta?

Downloading a backup from My Kinsta would be a fine alternative, but errors.WP_PARSE_CONFIG DK0081 when trying to manually import a site downloaded from My Kinsta

1 Like

I didn’t expect to be able to do this, but I was able to remove 400 MiB of old data. The site is now 600 MiB, yet I still receive the “Something Bad Happened” error message upon completion of the download. Is there any insight into why? For comparison, a different site that is 550 MiB installs just fine from My Kinsta.

Hi @Chevas, thanks for reaching out. So I’m looking at all of your threads and trying to zero-in on the issue. Is it just this one site that is giving you all of these issues? If so it may be something in the site’s files. Can you please private message the site name to me as well as your most recent main.log file?

Thanks for the response, sent you the info!

1 Like

For anyone who comes to this thread, the “Something Bad Happened” error was caused by a file with a super offensive file name that caused an rsync error. Kevin identified the file after I shared with him my log file.

Now that I know what happened, in the future, I can just open my log file and search “rsync” and see any associated files with that error.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.