Trying to resolve ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR on localhost:3000

Hello. Sorry for double-posting - I thought I found the solution and then it didn’t work.

After way too many hours scouring the internet for solutions, I am begging for assistance.

I would like to fix the ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR on localhost:3000 for my local grunt/gulp server, that started when I added “SSL and HTTPS” on one DevKinsta local site. I’m using a M1 Macbook Air. It appears with this error on Chrome & Brave, but on Safari it simply said Devkinsta stopped this instance. I just tried another solution, to edit out the old local devkinsta entries in /etc/hosts but now all browsers are stuck on loading localhost:3000 entirely. I deleted the old local devkinsta site, and nothing.

I’m using BrowserSync with Grunt, and Browsersync says it’s proxying the new devkinsta site I want, but my browsers are still looking for an SSL cert apparently given the ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR. I went in keychain access to delete some, I tried a variety of solutions but didn’t keep a log.

I’m not super knowledgeable on proxies & such - any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Hello @Bruce_Robinson :wave:

First of all, I have not heard about/used grunt/gulp server and don’t have any experiences with it, and am not a Mac user either. But the SSL/HTTPS error issue (on Mac) you reported sounds familiar to me.
Maybe you may want to check the other thread and this thread , and see if that solution will help to solve that SSL/HTTPS error issue on your end?

Last week or so, my colleague also added the step-by-step on how to do that in the other thread here.

Please let us know with the results.


Well, none of them worked. I had deleted that login SSL cert so I can’t try moving it to system. I found a workaround, and while I’d like to fix this, I can’t spend any more time on it.

Thank you very much for replying that day.

Edit: oh, this is awkward. something did work. I didn’t exactly scientific-method it, but I think the issue was more about how I copied the wp theme folder from old site to new site with a new name, and updated gruntconfig & browsersync. Unrelated to Kinsta probably. Thanks again and sorry for wasting time!

That’s fine Bruce! :smiley:
You’re most welcome! and glad to hear that something did finally work on your end!

I will close this thread then! :+1: