Working around and with DevKinsta

the DevKinsta sync ux does not provide enough control for a large server.

1. it does not allow for bypassing the back and restore
  2. it does not allow for pausing or stopping the sync without restoring the backup
  3. it does not provide a way to specify which files to sync on subsequent runs, which would be extremely helpful for establishing a team-wide way to interact with a large system.

For these reasons, I am working on my own sync command. Unfortunately I trying to figure out how to adjust the devkinsta images? Is this possible?

I discovered that I can use apk on devkinsta_nginx, but devkinsta_fpm

I would like to install git and rsync on devkinsta_fpm

Hi @Aporia :wave:

The rsync utility is already installed, and you should be able to install git inside devkinsta_fpm container. However, since git is not installed by default, you will need to reinstall it if you update Devkinsta to newer versions.

Additionally, DevKinsta’s Pull/Push feature enables you to choose specific folders or files to transfer between your local machine and Kinsta’s live server. You can refer to our help article here for more details: DevKinsta - Kinsta Integration - Kinsta® Docs

I hope this information is helpful. If you need further assistance, have any questions, or need clarification, feel free to ask. :blush:

I am not able to install git

root@21d320dac034:/www/kinsta# apt install git-all
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package git-all

@Aporia It seems that the git installation will work differently based on the machine’s operating system. I encountered the same error when I tried to install it on a Mac (M2), but the installation worked fine on my Windows 10 (Hyper-V) machine. See screenshot below:

You can navigate to the WordPress directory outside the docker container using your local terminal and install git on it instead. However, I’m unsure if it will work with your current workflow.

Seems like that is an issue with the mac version. It would be good if this would work.
Not sure it will be possible to install outside of the container and have it work