ERROR: error during connect: in the default daemon configuration

Windows 11. Whether Docker is already running as admin, unelevated or devkinsta starts Docker I get:

[2024-09-14 14:30:30.810] [info] [watchTheme] theme has changed
[2024-09-14 14:31:49.770] [info] [setWslVolumePath] set wsl path
[2024-09-14 14:31:49.771] [info] [isWslMode] check if docker runs on wsl mode
[2024-09-14 14:31:49.771] [info] [getDockerInfo] get Docker info
[2024-09-14 14:31:50.089] [error] Error: Command failed: docker info
ERROR: error during connect: in the default daemon configuration on Windows, the docker client must be run with elevated privileges to connect: Get “http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engine/v1.46/info”: open //./pipe/docker_engine: Access is denied.
errors pretty printing info

at __node_internal_genericNodeError (node:internal/errors:867:15)
at checkExecSyncError (node:child_process:911:11)
at execSync (node:child_process:983:15)
at node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:2:12708
at Object.execSync (file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:2:714023)
at Object.dockerUtil_getDockerInfo [as getDockerInfo] (file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:2:786472)
at docker_isWslMode (file:///C:/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:2:788033)
at file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:2:3348045
at tryCatch (file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:8:2033184)
at Generator.<anonymous> (file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:8:2034833)

Hi @NoelArzola! Welcome to the Kinsta community!

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulty with launching DevKinsta due to this Docker daemon connection failure. I understand an issue like this can be frustrating. We are happy to help investigate into this further with you and find a solution.

I understand that Docker is failing to connect to the daemon due to it needing to run with elevated privileges. However, regardless of how you run the daemon this error occurs. I have been investigating into the causes of this issue and have found a couple of possible causes.

The first cause can be due to Docker Desktop not fully running. To confirm, is Docker Desktop launched on your system and do you see the Docker whale logo in the taskbar on Windows?

If Docker Desktop is fully running, please adjust the following setting and try launching DevKinsta again:

Docker Desktop >> Settings >> General. >> Select the option to expose daemon on TCP without TLS >> Select Apply & Restart

Please let us know if this has helped! We are looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards

Hello, thanks for the welcome and the reply! Docker Desktop is up and running. I can even have it closed and DevKinsta opens it and the engine starts without incident. But DevKinsta says Starting Docker until it changes to errors. Unfortunately looks like the issues persists after changing that setting :frowning:

[2024-09-15 14:15:53.298] [info] [dockerClient/isReady] Check if Docker client is ready
[2024-09-15 14:15:59.322] [info] [setWslVolumePath] set wsl path
[2024-09-15 14:15:59.322] [info] [isWslMode] check if docker runs on wsl mode
[2024-09-15 14:15:59.322] [info] [getDockerInfo] get Docker info
[2024-09-15 14:16:00.131] [error] Error: Command failed: docker info
ERROR: error during connect: in the default daemon configuration on Windows, the docker client must be run with elevated privileges to connect: Get “http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engine/v1.47/info”: open //./pipe/docker_engine: Access is denied.
errors pretty printing info

at __node_internal_genericNodeError (node:internal/errors:867:15)
at checkExecSyncError (node:child_process:911:11)
at execSync (node:child_process:983:15)
at node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:2:12708
at Object.execSync (file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:2:714023)
at Object.dockerUtil_getDockerInfo [as getDockerInfo] (file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:2:786472)
at docker_isWslMode (file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:2:788033)
at file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:2:3348045
at tryCatch (file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:8:2033184)
at Generator.<anonymous> (file:///C:/Users/#/AppData/Local/Programs/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/dist/renderer.prod.js:8:2034833)

Thank you for your reply, @NoelArzola! I’m sorry to hear that this issue is persisting. The error is continuing to indicate some sort of privileges issue is happening when DevKinsta attempts to interact with Docker.

I do want to clarify something regarding the user DevKinsta is being launched as. To confirm, is your user part of the administrators group on Windows? Or, is it a standard user on the system? It appears it can be possible that the Docker service is running as an administrator which can prevent applications run by non-admin users from connecting to the service.

We look forward to hearing back from you!