How To Use All-In-One WP Migration On DevKinsta?

Hi,

I see that you can use All-In-One WP Migration on a local DevKinsta site, but when I go to install the plugin, it’s banned. I saw that in this response to a question, you need to remove/disable the Kinsta MU plugin. How would you uninstall/disable this plugin in DevKinsta?

Using All-In-One WP Migration is very important for my business, any response would help!

Thanks, and let me know if I am missing anything.

Heya again! :smiley:

In order to remove/disable the Kinsta MU plugin, you could remove/delete the following:
kinsta-mu-plugins (folder and its contents)
and also
kinsta-mu-plugins.php (file)

those are located inside this sub-folder on your computer:
~/DevKinsta/public/yourlocalsitename/wp-content/mu-plugins/
(Change the yourlocalsitename with your local site name/folder in question ).

You can delete them either via Terminal program (with command line) for example, or use GUI file manager tool on your computer to delete them.

Note:
when you push that local site to your staging site - and then later on after you push it to your Live site on our server, please be sure to remove the All-In-One WP Migration plugin completely, and also be sure to re-install the Kinsta MU plugin.
Kinsta MU plugin is required here to ensure your site runs smoothly in our environment, as it handles things such as our full-page caching technology and Kinsta’s CDN integration,

regards,
Agus

Hey Agus,

Thanks for your help. I have deleted the files you mentioned. When activating All In One WP Transfer, I get the following errors (see photo). Any ideas on how to fix these? Would the export be missing stuff/be corrupted if I try to export the site?

Thanks!

Hey there :slight_smile:

I’m not familiar with this plugin and have not used it myself before (and first of all this is Not DevKinsta related issue actually.
Anyway based on the screenshot you provided, I could see it shows the folder’s path of your hosting account on our server ( /www/geometryspotcom_388/public/wp-content ) instead of the path of your local site on your computer. It also mentioned that the plugin was not able to create the ai1wm-backups sub-folder under that path above (and that needs to be created manually with 0777 chmod/permission).
:thinking: Did you try to enable that All-in-one WP migration plugin on your site hosted on Kinsta server (as mentioned before this plugin is banned on our hosting environment)?

To clarify you would like to activate this plugin in your local site on your local computer, right? (and that you have deleted the Kinsta MU plugin’s files/folders on you local computer) - if that so, that plugin needs to be activated from the local site’s WP admin on your local computer.
Note: for local sites created in DevKinsta, the path would show something like this instead (not the folder’s path of your hosting account on Kinsta server as mentioned above):
/www/kinsta/public/yourlocalsitenamehere/wp-content/

In case it’s also showing the similar error message (not able to create that ai1wm-backups sub-folder under your local site’s folder) you could try the following step-by-step to create it manually (inside the “devkinsta_fpm” docker’s container) and set that folder with chmod 0777 as mentioned in the screenshot:

1. Open terminal on your mac computer

2. On your terminal program, run this command line to go inside the devkinsta_fpm Docker’s container:
    docker exec -u www-data -it devkinsta_fpm bash

3. Once entered to that devkinsta_fpm container, type the following command line:
    cd public/yourlocalsitenamehere/wp-content/

4. Then inside that sub-folder above, type the following command lines (one line at a time):
    mkdir ai1wm-backups
    chmod 0777 ai1wm-backups

5. Done, and you should now have the ai1wm-backups subfolder created (with 0777 permission) - in the devkinsta_fpm Docker’s container on your computer (inside that local site’s path: /www/kinsta/public/yourlocalsitenamehere/wp-content/ )

6. Type exit to quit from that devkinsta_fpm container (and close your terminal program), and see if the All In One WP migration plugin can be activated properly on your local site without that error?

regards,
Agus

Hey Agus,

This plugin in enabled and installed on only the local version of my site. And yes, the Kinsta MU plugins and folders have been deleted from the local version. Everything has only been activated and installed on the local version of the website. The local version of my site is called “https://geometryspotcom.staging/”.

Also, I switched to my Windows desktop. Are the terminal steps any different on Windows?

Thanks for all your help, and let me know what other information you need/if you need any other information.

Hi @tmm :wave:

Zach here!

The steps should be the same on Windows, provided you have docker.exe in your PATH environment variable, though you’d be using e.g. Powershell or Command Prompt, or worst case perhaps Git Bash if you choose to install it.

You can also run the rest of the commands in Docker Desktop container terminal:

bash should be executed inside of the container so the rest of the cd/mkdir/chmod commands should work while you’re using bash in a docker container context.

Best regards,
Zach

Hey Zach!

Thanks for the info. The solution above did correctly make the folder, but did not change anything in WordPress/remove any errors. When looking at the “Export” page on All In One WP-Migration on my local site, I get linked to this help article about how to fix invalid file permissions. I tried making the “storage” file mentioned in this article and setting the permissions to 0777 via Command Prompt, but I cannot do so because “changing permissions of ‘all-in-one-wp-migration’: Operation not permitted”.

Any ideas on how to make this folder/set the permissions to 0777? Also, I did first check to see if there was a “storage” folder that already existed.

Thanks for everything!

Hi again tmm :smiley:

You could make sub-folder(s) and set its folders/sub-folders permission (e.g.: chmod 0777) within that devkinsta_fpm docker’s container either from the Command Prompt (CMD) or from the Docker Desktop’s terminal (instead of from the Windows folder/file properties as shown in that help article you shared).

For example like this, as I took on my Windows 11 pro command prompt:

From that C:\> command prompt, I typed this below command line to enter to that devkinsta_fpm docker’s container:
docker exec -u www-data -it devkinsta_fpm bash

then inside that devkinsta_fpm docker’s container, I would need to go inside the sub-folder of my local site ( wpsitetest ), e.g.: cd public/wpsitetest/wp-content/

and there, I made the sub-folder named as ai1wm-backups with: mkdir ai1wm-backups , and followed by chmod 0777 ai1wm-backups , to set this specific sub-folder’s permission to 0777 .

As we can see there, when I listed that sub-folder contents (with ls -la) I could see that new sub-folder I created before: ai1wm-backups , and when I checked with stat ai1wm-backups , we could see there it’s showing (0777 as expected) :
Access: (0777/drwxrwxrwx) Uid: ( 1000/www-data) Gid: ( 1000/www-data)

Finally I just typed exit to quit from that docker’s container (and back to the C:> command prompt).

The same step-by-step above could also be performed via Docker Desktop in Windows (Docker Desktop → Containers → click the devkinsta_fpm name, then click on the “terminal” tab), as shown below for example (I took on mine)

Hope that helps you on how to set that folder’s/sub-folder’s permission to 0777 .

regards,
Agus

Hey Agus,

Thanks for all your help. For anyone having the same issues, here’s what I did to get All-In-One-WP-Migration to work with DevKinsta (make sure All-In-One-WP-Migration is uninstalled before starting!):

1. Remove the following: kinsta-mu-plugins (folder and its contents) and also kinsta-mu-plugins.php (file). These can be found in this sub-folder on your computer:
    ~/DevKinsta/public/yourlocalsitename/wp-content/mu-plugins/
    (Change the yourlocalsitename with your local site name/folder in question).
  2. Open terminal/command prompt on your machine, and do the following steps:
    2a. Run this command: docker exec -u www-data -it devkinsta_fpm bash (this gets you inside the devkinsta_fpm Docker’s container)
    2b. Once your in that container, run: cd public/yourlocalsitenamehere/wp-content/ (make sure to change the “yourlocalsitenamehere”)
    2c. Then, once you are in that sub-folder, run the following commands, one line at a time:
    mkdir ai1wm-backups
    chmod 0777 ai1wm-backups
    2d. Then, run the following commands one line at a time:
    cd plugins
    mkdir all-in-one-wp-migration
    chmod 0777 all-in-one-wp-migration
    2e. Run these commands after, one line at a time:
    cd all-in-one-wp-migration
    mkdir storage
    chmod 0777 storage
    2f. Type exit and close terminal
  3. Download the All-In-One-WP-Migration plugin from wordpress.org and extract the .ZIP file.
  4. Keep on opening folders inside the extracted .ZIP until you see a folder called “lib” and other files, such as “all-in-one-migration.php”
  5. Go to DevKinsta and click on “Site Path” to view all of the files of your local site. This should open a new File Explorer window, which is what you want.
  6. Navigate to wp-content, then to plugins, and finally the all-in-one-wp-migration folder that you created. There should be one more folder inside called storage, but don’t open it.
  7. Drag/copy and paste all files from the extracted .ZIP file we downloaded earlier into the folder you just opened.
  8. Open and sign into your local version of your site. Go to plugins in WordPress and activate the All-In-One WP Migration plugin. Some errors will display, but you can ignore these as the website will export fine (because of what we did earlier).
  9. Go to the “export” section in the All-In-One WP Migration plugin, and choose how you want to export!

Other notes: In general, when using All-In-One WP Migration (not only on websites hosted with Kinsta), the best way to export a site is to export with Google Drive or any other option. That’s based off my experience, because when I would export a file and try to import it, the file would always not import correctly. I would very highly highly recommend spending the $100 it costs to export the site through Google Drive, or something else like that. I usually always export with Google Drive. I used Windows during this, but I believe it should work on Mac too. This is what works for me, so I hope it helps!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.