Issues with setting up DevKinsta site

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A: It’s actually not time related

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: Most recent version

Q: OS Version
A: MAC OS 13.3.1 (a) (22E772610a)

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A:

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: I had a multitude of logs from the DevKinsta application main.logs:

[2024-07-16 14:35:03.923] [info] [ProgressIndicator] { isFailed: false, isOpen: true }
[2024-07-16 14:35:03.971] [warn] [terminalExec] Error: rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]
[2024-07-16 14:35:04.190] [info] [terminalExec] Child process exited with code 23
[2024-07-16 14:35:04.191] [error] [downloadSite] Error while downloading files Error: Encountered an error in child process 20013: 23. rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]
at handleChildProcessClosure (/Applications/DevKinsta.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:609786)
at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/Applications/DevKinsta.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:608743)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:513:28)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1091:16)
at Socket.<anonymous> (node:internal/child_process:449:11)
at Socket.emit (node:events:513:28)
at Socket.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at Pipe.<anonymous> (node:net:322:12)
[2024-07-16 14:35:04.193] [error] [ipcMainStep] Error in operation SITE_CREATION, step rsync: Error: Encountered an error in child process 20013: 23. rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]
at handleChildProcessClosure (/Applications/DevKinsta.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:609786)
at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/Applications/DevKinsta.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:608743)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:513:28)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1091:16)
at Socket.<anonymous> (node:internal/child_process:449:11)
at Socket.emit (node:events:513:28)
at Socket.emit (node:domain:489:12)
at Pipe.<anonymous> (node:net:322:12)
[2024-07-16 14:35:04.238] [info] [ProgressIndicator] { isFailed: true, isOpen: true }

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A: I’m currently in the migration process over to kinsta and in that process I’ve been trying to use DevKinsta for local development. Now the site on kinsta.com works just fine , when I try to import that given site in DevKinsta, an error appears after a few steps and tells me that something has gone wrong without any specific error message. This error message appears right when all the data is downloaded from the remote host site which in my case is like 5GB. As soon as that is downloaded, the error message appears.

The logs don’t really give me that much insight in terms of what the issue could be. The only thing we do a little differently when setting up the site is that we use symlinks for for example the WP-Content stuff which is in a shared folder to my knowledge, that didn’t cause issues anywhere else though so I dont see why it would locally in devkinsta.

The issue isn’t with DevKinsta on my computer about everything, I can set up a vanilla site without any issues, just importing that given site causes the issue.

I’ve assigned the main.log file here below, bare in mind that this includes many attempts of starting up the application, if you just want the most recent ones you can look at the 18th july data and look at the errors in there.

<main.log moved for privacy>

Hello there @mischamorf :wave: and welcome to our community forum! :smiley:

I’ve checked and reviewed your main.log file you shared (note: I’ve removed it from your reply and moved it to our internal log instead - as it contains sensitive information in it), and there I noticed this error message:

[2024-07-18 15:12:34.405] [warn] [terminalExec] Error: symlink has no referent: “/www/< your site username here >/public/app/.htaccess

I then checked into your live site’s container via SSH, and indeed noticed that .htaccess symlink file is broken (pointing to non-existing path/file)

So that would be the reason why DevKinsta failed to import your site’s files/folders - as it mentioned the above error message in the main.log, and also returned with other error messages there such as:

[2024-07-18 15:20:03.877] [warn] [terminalExec] Error: rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]

[2024-07-18 15:20:03.980] [error] [downloadSite] Error while downloading files Error: Encountered an error in child process 2817: 23. rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1861) [generator=3.2.7]

I would say please remove that broken symlink (.htaccess) file, either via SFTP or SSH - Note that we use NGINX here instead of Apache, and .htaccess file won’t work either on NGINX environment.

Once that broken symlink (.htaccess file) has been removed, please try to import your site again to your local computer with DevKinsta, and see if it can be imported just fine :pray:

If something is still not working , please provide us with the most recent (new) main.log file again - so we can check and review any further! :+1:

PS: In case you would like to share the new main.log file to us (if something still not working properly), you can send it via DM instead to my colleague (as I won’t be here on the weekend) to: @merineth and/or @Andrew :pray:

Best regards,
Agus Utomo

Hey there.

Thanks for the extensive response. I will have a look at this. What I can say for sure is that the symlink issue probably comes from a custom coding solution from our end, using files from a shared folder, so I’ll keep that in mind and let you know.

Thanks

Hey man, so I’ve tried just now and ran into another error, even after deleting the htaccess you mentioned. File is attached.

<main.log moved for privacy>

Hi @mischamorf! Thank you for your reply!

I’m sorry to hear that another issue has occurred. We appreciate you sharing the updated main.log file for us to review.

After reviewing this file we are seeing an odd “sync: connection unexpectedly closed” error. It appears it is indicating the remote host is closing the connection. However, after reviewing the server’s health we do not see any issue that would cause this.

We do want to ensure that an internet connectivity issue is not contributing to this problem. To clarify, are you attempting to import this site using a computer connected with a WiFi connection? If so, please try connecting your computer directly to a switch or an open switch port on your router if it has one. This will help ensure a more stable connection.

Additionally, if your internet service provider is providing service via a wireless connection type such as cellular, please try connecting to a network that is serviced via a cable or fiber connection to see if that allows you to import the site successfully.

Please let us know if this helps, or if you continue to have any issue. We are standing by and happy to help!

Best regards

I’ve actually got a new error now:
DK0066

I’ve also added the main.log file so you can have a look at it.

main.log (276.7 KB)

Hello @mischamorf

Thank you for your update here regarding the issue you are experiencing. I have asked our Developing DevKinsta team to check on the exact log you provided and see if it is possible to resolve it from our side or to indicate which part of the import is failing and can be adjusted on your side.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Best regards,

Hello @mischamorf we have found an explanation that worked for some other users and our user mentioned this has worked for them, so I am providing you with their solution: